Re: Style Guidelines for pull-down menus

Subject: Re: Style Guidelines for pull-down menus
From: Jan Stanley <janron -at- CONCENTRIC -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 11:22:07 -0400

Audience is all.

The construction "From the Tomato menu, select BetterBoy" is
stilted and unlike the way we *speak*, but I've cringed and used
it because I've been *writing*, and the docs I've written have
been primarily for novice users. As Kathleen said, "novice users
may need to work as they read."

If I were writing for more expert users and could use a
"shorthand" construction, I still wouldn't write "Select
BetterBoy from Tomato." I'd write something like "Select Tomato
> BetterBoy." (Strikes me as interesting that this "path"
<stitch> is the same one I'd use for novices.)

Regards,
Jan

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=