Mail List Subscription

From: Chuck Vroman <ChuckV -at- APPTECHSYS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 09:56:23 -0700

Just an observation and a simple question to clarify the cloud of dust being
raised.

OBSERVATION: On this list, we currently find numerous comments about two
spaces after a period, flames aimed at a person because their
viewpoints/presentation of viewpoint is unacceptable, etc. We even receive
some off topic items that, while frowned upon by numerous subscribers,
actually provide bits of information that may be just what some writers need
or are looking for.

QUESTION: If the list goes to a paid subscription basis, will we then be
paying for the same types of inane flames and punctuation discussions to
fill our mailboxes? To go one step further, if we will be paying for the
same types of extraneous items which currently fill our mail, will we also
be guaranteed ANY specific rights, recourse or support?

I have been lurking on this list for 3 years and have found several of the
small bits of information, previously mentioned, in off topic items that
have been exactly what I have been looking for. I have also seen the
exceptionally long, drawn out flame wars carried on over what, in my
opinion, are frivolous and/or ludicrous topics. While the information
available has proved invaluable, the personal attacks toward someone who has
a different idea on how to do something or a newcomer who has asked a
question that is elemental to the "old salts" on the list have been uncalled
for and lack any sort of professionalism. The information may be worth the
price of a subscription, but I fail to see that any of the rest of the
information, specifically the flames and inane discussions of how many
spaces to use, is worth paying for.

Anyone who disagrees with this observation, please feel free to flame me off
list. My email is chuckv -at- apptechsys -dot- com -dot- Don't be worried that you will
upset me. If i feel your flame requires a response, I will answer.
Otherwise, as has been pointed out previously on this list, my DELETE button
works just fine!

Chuck Vroman
Technical Writer
Applied Technical Systems, Inc.