Re: Syntax question: Windows 95/98 or 95 and 98?

Subject: Re: Syntax question: Windows 95/98 or 95 and 98?
From: Melissa Kucbel-Saumier <melissaks -at- EICON -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 10:26:09 -0400

In respond to Lindsey:
>I imagine you'd have to respect the trademarked forms and do
>something even more cumbersome: "the Windows 95 system and the
>Windows 98 system" or "the Windows 95 and Windows 98 systems."
>My point is that I don't think you can break up "Windows 98".
>It's trademarked that way and no other (you may want to verify
>exact language of trademark).

I checked Microsoft's Trademark page (http://www.microsoft.com/trademarks/)
and "operating system" is
not included in the trademark. Actually, Windows and Windows NT
seem to be trademarked, but there is no indication about not
splitting Windows and 95 (or 98). This is not really a legal issue;
it concerns usability and how the user will understand the
procedure. For example, if I write 95/98, can a user think I am
referring to the Windows 95/98 operating system? If it's
usually clear and the average user understands I am giving a
procedure common to both OSs, than it could go either way I guess.
However, I think many understand they are using Windows as an OS,
but when it comes to identifying the version, there could be a
certain level of confusion...

Melissa Kucbel-Saumier
Technical Publications - Eicon Technology

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=