Re: FWD: What constitutes a senior tech writer and how to get there?

Subject: Re: FWD: What constitutes a senior tech writer and how to get there?
From: Kathi Jan Knill <Kathi -dot- Knill -at- TEMPLATE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 14:10:07 -0400

Dear Anon,
First I have to wonder, why does management expect a writer with
3 years experience to be a "Sr." writer, when the other "Sr."
writers have 7-8 years of experience? Is their some faulty logic
here? Anyway....
You've seen several answers to your question already and I think
you will agree that perhaps there is not one "right" answer to
your question. Having said that, I will be happy to share my
humble opinion with you.
Before I do, however, I would like to share with you that I am
currently working as a Sr. TW and have been for the last 6 or 7
years. Before that I was a systems developer. When I "became" a
TW, I was automatically called a Sr. TW because of the number of
years of experience that I had in the "job world." However, I
realize now that I was not qualified to be a Senior writer at
that time. The question is what has changed about me and my
abilities.
Well here are several things that I can think of:
1. I have written more and learned more about writing. Things
about basic grammar skills that most people know, but few put to
use. I have helped write a style guide, so I also know the ins
and outs of not only corporate styles, but grammar styles (ex.
using active vs. passive voice, etc.) Now, since the writer is
new to the field, I will share some of the URLs that can be used
to get information on style:
http://webster.commnet.edu/HP/pages/darling/grammar.htm
Guide to Grammar and Writing
http://home.clara.net/hairydog/tclnkresources.html
Big list of links, this one also includes a nice selection of
style
guide sites and font sites
http://www.columbia.edu/acis/bartleby/strunk/
Elements of Style online version
(Thank you Betsy Pfister for sharing those on the list last
week.)

Some of the other answers you received discussed the other things
the Junior (JR) person ought to know how to do as a Sr. TW. So
I won't repeat those.

I don't know what JR's technical background is, but that is
certainly an area that JR could beef up. Again, look on the net,
talk to other writers, talk to some of the developers, go to the
library. I am sure JR knows what is "HOT" in the technology
world, go and learn some of it. Don't become a programmer, but
at least become familiar with the technology so that JR can
understand the developers language.

From the sound of the posting, JR is not only new to tech writing
but probably new to the business world (sorry if I am wrong,
but...). As others have posted, it is a dog-eat-dog world, and JR
can't rely on anyone else to help JR get ahead. That said, I
also think managers do have some responsibility for at least
guiding their subordinates. I've never worked at a place that
did not have a formal review process that did not include a plan
or goals for the next review cycle. If the company that JR works
for doesn't have such a plan, JR should (if he plans on staying
with the company) come up with one (maybe ask the other writers
for advice, or just wing it based on his knowledge of what he has
done vs. what tasks other writers are given) and then take it to
his manager and get input (since the manager obviously has an
idea of what he thinks will qualify a writer to be Sr. level).
JR may have to "force" his manager to make time (based on a busy
schedule) but it should be done. The manager should review it
and then both JR and the manager should commit to it. That is
when the work begins. Make sure JR sticks to the plan and does
his best work. If he needs guidance, ask for it. People in this
business have to have opinions, and believe me they love to share
them!

Also, something that I've learned after too many years in the
work force, ask, ask, ask, don't be afraid to ask someone if you
don't know something. If JR doesn't know what courses to take to
improve writing skills, ask someone who does know. As you see
from the results of this posting, writers love to write and
answer questions!

Since this is getting a little "long-in-the-tooth" I will close
by saying two things:
1. I don't think I'm an expert, but if JR wants some more
information, I'd be happy to write more off-line.
and
2. I once worked for a company (I was writing users manuals for
them) that asked me "what title would you like on your business
card?" Does that tell you something about the question: what
constitues a sr. writer??
Good Luck.
Kathi Jan Knill
Sr. Technical Writer
Template Software
Kathi -dot- Knill -at- Template -dot- com
You have to do what you love to do,
not get stuck in that comfort zone of
a regular job. Life is not a dress rehearsal.
This is it.|

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=