Re: What constitutes a senior tech writer and how to get there?

Subject: Re: What constitutes a senior tech writer and how to get there?
From: Denise Fritch <dfritch -at- INTELLICORP -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 10:49:54 -0700

Lisa Higgs wrote:
> * Unless you are an intern, your training and education are not
> management's responsibility. Frankly, nobody else in your workplace really
gives a hang
> about your 'career.'

Sorry Lisa, I'm going to disagree with your point above.

When I'm out interviewing for jobs, if I'm really interested in a position,
one question I ask is what types of training (both product and professional)
the company provides to its technical writing staff. The answer to that
question describes for me that company's interest in its employees. If I'm
told the company provides no training for its employees, then either the
company has little or no time to train employees because of lack of
planning, or that company places no value on the worth of its employees.
Either way, that is not a company for which I would want to work.

Best,

Denise L. Fritch
Sr. Tech Writer
IntelliCorp, Inc.