Re: What constitutes a senior tech writer and how to get there?

Subject: Re: What constitutes a senior tech writer and how to get there?
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 11:16:16 -0600

Sarah O'Keefe wrote:

> In my opinion, a senior technical writer is an individual who can plan and
> execute a writing project without outside assistance. That is, the writer
> can:

<snip>

I'd buy that, with two quibbles:
First, qualify "without outside assistance" to "without outside
writing/tech pubs assistance". That is, you overlooked the source
of the information and the (reasonably high) likelihood that
the senior writer will need to consult with a senior engineer
(or junior engineer, or assembly tech or whatever) to get the content
together.

Second, I'd recast "plan and execute a writing project" as "plan
and execute and deliver a maintainable writing project". Being
able to _deliver_ is top priority, and maintainable is a close second.
That is, if a writer delivers, but when revisions time comes (and
come it will), if the pretty tables are elaborate constructions of
multiple tabs and hand-drawn lines, the product wasn't from a
"senior writer".

MHO,
Eric
BTW, congrats on the Frame for Dummies book!

Eric J. Ray ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com
UNIX Visual QuickStart Guide is "a superb book!"
Don't believe it? Check for yourself!
Find out more at http://www.raycomm.com/

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=