Re: Optional fields in screengrab

Subject: Re: Optional fields in screengrab
From: Melanie Fielek <mfielek -at- INRI -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 09:51:06 -0400

On Fri, 30 Jul 1999, [iso-8859-1] Aoidìn Scully wrote:

> Do I use the default screengrab and risk them not knowingwhat I'm
> talkingabout when I mention the Start Date field?
>
> Or do I use a screengrab showing all the various options that might
> appear (there's about 4 optional fields) and risk them going 'My dialog
> box isn't like that!'.

I have a similar situation with some windows. In my case, all the fields
are there, but only certain ones are available, depending on previous
choices in earlier windows. I have documented them in two ways:

o Use a window as is, with some of the choices unavailable (they are
Windows screens and so are still visible).

o Use a conglomerate window showing everything as usable.

Either way, I clearly explain that controls in area A are only available
with choice A back in Window X, and that controls in area B are only
available with choice B back in Window X.

I prefer the second, and that's what I use now. The explanation needs to
be there, regardless of which window I use. The conglomerate window simply
makes everything more readable for the user.

That explanation actually is much clearer using real data -- honest --
because I can describe the scenarios in which the user makes those
choices, not just reference the choices themselves.

Good luck!

-- Melanie

Melanie Fielek | Support Coast Guard Search and Rescue
Tech Writer/Editor | -- Get Lost!
mfielek -at- inri -dot- com |
1991 Honda Hawk, 197? Yamaha Virago + sidecar
All opinions are mine, _mine_, MINE!

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000