Re: A really basic web animation question -- Example

Subject: Re: A really basic web animation question -- Example
From: David Castro <thetechwriter -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 12:26:59 -0700

> Thank him all you want, but it's only an answer if you grant him total
> control
> of the viewing audience.

Actually, I am accustomed to this, as the JavaScript I've been working on the
past few days is going to be embedded in an HTML Help file.

> For example, I saw no floating text, and in fact the
> words "text" and "floats" were on the same line and so close together as to
> make reading them an effort (the "f" overlaid the "t" and the end of sentence
> period looked like a burl on the lower branches of the "s").

This may not be a version thing, but rather a default size thing. I didn't
specifically set the font size, but rather went with the browser-determined
default. And the word "floats" is in a separate layer. Because it used layers,
earlier versions of both browsers won't see it correctly (in fact, I have no
idea what they will see, at all). So, there is more that I could have done (set
the font size specifically, do a test for browser type/version and only enable
it for the supported browsers, and so on), but as I mentioned, it was a simple
example to show how to do something. It certainly was not ready for prime time.
I leave that for Laura to do.

By the way, I should have given proper credit: the bulk of the JavaScript that
I used was from Webmonkey's site (http://www.webmonkey.com). Very little of it
was my own.

-David Castro
techwrtr -at- crl -dot- com