A really basic web animation question

Subject: A really basic web animation question
From: "Laura J. Lockhart" <LLOCKHART -at- ABIM -dot- ORG>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 08:52:55 -0400

Hi all---

I'm working on a project for my company's intranet and am having difficulty finding an answer to a problem I'm having. I've been presented with the challenge of animating *one* word on a page, and I haven't had any success searching the web for a solution as to how to do it. Bear in mind that I know HTML but know next to nothing about Java or JavaScript (and no one else on my committee does either, go figure). Everything that I have found (under sites like JAVAGOODIES.COM) gives syntax for very sophisticated text animation... words flying across the screen, flashing text, scrolls, etc.... much flashier than what I need.

Here's all that I'm trying to do: I have a page titled "The LIGHTER Side". When people visit the page, we want the word 'LIGHTER' to float up from the baseline (as if it were filled with helium). Seems simple enough. Is there anyone out there who could help, either by telling me how to code this or by pointing me in the direction of a good online resource? Our intranet is very basic, and I don't really foresee us using any more "flash" than this... so I know my company won't subsidize a Java course for me to learn one basic task!

I'm on digest, so I'd appreciate it if you could copy your replies to me off-list... many thanks!

Laura Lockhart
LLockhart -at- abim -dot- org

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000