Re: Word 97 print current page problem

Subject: Re: Word 97 print current page problem
From: Beth Mason <beth -dot- mason -at- MANTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 09:29:43 -0400

James,
You don't give very many specifics here, and of course any number of things can cause a GPF in Word. But whenever I have unexplainable problems in Word, the first thing I try to rule out is file corruption. It can cause all kinds of possessed things to happen. Corruption is more likely in files that have been around a while and have been saved many times, but it can happen fairly quickly if you have Fast Saves turned on (*always, always* turn Fast Saves off. You'll find it under Tools>Options on the Save tab).

Microsoft's accepted remedy for file corruption, I'm told, is to save the file as an *.rtf (File>SaveAs pick RTF in the Save As Type field), and then save it back as a doc. This has worked for me on several occasions. I have never lost any formatting or anything else from doing this, either. (But if you want to be safe, just save it as a different name when you save it back as a doc.)

It's worth a try, and it only takes a minute or two to do.

Beth

><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
Beth Champion Mason
Senior Technical Writer/Editor
ManTech Systems Solutions Corp.
(757) 938-9377

>>> James Cort <jcort -at- TOTALTEL -dot- COM> 07/26 9:43 AM >>>
<snip>
I'm running Word 97 on Windows 95. I've got a document with graphics and I
attempt to "Print current page". I get an illegal operation message, and
Word craps out and will not start up again. I've got to reboot.
<snip>

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000