Re: From Print to Online??

Subject: Re: From Print to Online??
From: Gerry Gaffney <Gerry -at- INFODESIGN -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 18:56:59 +1000

I can't comment specifically on FrameMaker. However, I have been involved in
converting a lot of docs from paper to online format.

I have some general comments:

- To do the job properly, the paper-based documentation will almost
certainly require some serious re-writing. It's also the case that many
organisations simply won't do this becuase it's 'too expensive' and they'd
rather have unusable documentation. Such is life.

Reasons for the re-write include:

- People read less online than on paper (estimates vary; 30% less seems to
be widely quoted); therefore a trim will almost certainly be rquired. Online
writing can be much more terse (in general) than print writing.
Interestingly enough, it's relatively easy to take text from online to
printed format in this regard.
- Graphics may be too big to fit in windows and hence need to be re-done or
removed
- Colours used in graphics may not work correctly on the target environment
- Cross-references will need to be changed to links and checked, or deleted
- It may be necesssary to define different types of windows (e.g procedures
may appear in cue cards, reference material in a larger window, and so on)

When converting from paper to online, I always try and push very hard for at
least a language edit; otherwise the online versions can be seriously ugly.

From Word to winhelp or HTML or whatever there are many tools (such as HDK)
which do quite a good job. I imagine other list members can recommend
FrameMaker options.

- Gerry

_____________________
Gerry Gaffney