Re: optimum platform for framemaker?

Subject: Re: optimum platform for framemaker?
From: Ivan Huska <ivan_huska -at- EPICDATA -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 14:29:36 -0700

Tim Altom wrote:

>>Stick to PostScript fonts and you'll be fine everywhere (so long as you have
the font on your Windows machine, that is).

>>EPSs may not even appear on the tube due to having a Mac header.

This is sort of related to Gil's post, but I have some questions, too.

We have graphics that were created on Mac (Illustrator) and saved as .eps
files. We are importing them into Frame on WinNT 4.0. Some of the chapter files
are getting rather large, so large that when we go to open them we get a message
telling us we may not have enough memory (we have 256MB on a PIII 500Mhz).

However, the files do open and you can do work in them. The problem is as Tim
mentioned: some pictures don't appear. We have considered breaking the big files
up, but this also happens with some of the smaller files.

We have tried saving them in PC format from the Mac, but it doesn't seem to
help.

We also get font substitution messages (and we have the PostScript fonts
installed on the PC; we can see them in Frame) and the fonts don't look so good
when printed.

So the questions are: What to do about the Mac header problem, and what is going
on with the fonts?

Of course, the deadline is upon us...help...please?

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=