Re: indexing

Subject: Re: indexing
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Brierley -at- QUODATA -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 11:33:07 -0400

Hallo:

I indexed a 596-page mightmare Word docs, with circles and arrows, and a
paragraph on the back of each one . . .. That, also, was a two-tiered index,
which ended up about 14 pages long, two-column.

Also, my book was one file because I could not get master docs to work and
using multiple files without master docs was inconvenient. Using one file
also made indexing easier, I think.

Anyway, I find Word's indexing to be one of the more stable features . . .
although showing codes and what that does to pagination drives me bananas.

I'd estimate 32-hours to create an index by hand (I concur, it's my favorite
way if not the *only* way) for a 400-page book, which includes testing and
proofing time.

All the best,

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com