Re: Who's Job is it to Layout a Book?

Subject: Re: Who's Job is it to Layout a Book?
From: Jim Grey <mobilene -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 18:30:48 +0000

David Hickey writ:
> Out in the real world (any place where I'm not, it seems), who's job is it
> to design the layout of the documentation? Does the technical writer design
> this or is it the Graphic Design department's job?

Everywhere I've ever worked as a tech writer (all three software companies),
design (book and online) fell to either the writer or to another writer within
the department specially assigned to create page designs. In all cases, when
the design was final, it was each writer's responsibility to lay out their own
work within that design.

I used to think that this was the only way to fly. But now that I manage
writers, I find it hard to find writers with adequate book/online design
skills. (I'm in Indiana; YMMV.) It's a little easier to find writers who can
lay out their own pages, but it still doesn't seem to be a universal skill. I
am adequate at design and good at layout, so I try to educate my staff on what
I know. I'm educating one staff member to take over the design reins from me.
If I ever get the chance, I'll hire someone with good book-design skill.
Should I then hire any writers who have some design skill, they could work
closely with the designer on their projects.

Peace,
jim

===
jim grey / mobilene -at- yahoo -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=