Re: Window displays?

Subject: Re: Window displays?
From: Mike Stockman <stockman -at- JAGUNET -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 00:00:10 -0400

I'm not actually questioning whether "displays" or "appears" is correct.
I already have a pretty well-researched opinion on that. My request was
for any factual references that would support the other poster's
contention that "displays" is better because it's "current usage."

Thanks,
----->Mike

On 7/14/1999 11:38 PM, Dianne Blake (write-it -at- HOME -dot- COM) wrote:

>Mike Stockman wrote:
>> The "grammatically correct" part of "The ABC window displays" seems to
>> be a matter for discussion, but I've been tech. writing for over 12
>> years and have not encountered that usage. All usage I've enountered,
>> both from colleagues and the current editions of the style guides from
>> Apple, Microsoft, and (I think) Sun support "The ABC window appears."
>> Can you please provide where "displays" used in this context is
>> "current usage," for all of our benefit?
>
>Maybe it is just my imagination - but "appears" conjures up the image of
>a ghost, while the word "displays" reminds me that I'm looking at a
>"display unit". I typically use "displays" unless asked not to.

Internet: stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com AOL: MStockman
AOL Instant Messenger: MStockman

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=