Re: Help! Cartoons for PowerPoint presentation (long)

Subject: Re: Help! Cartoons for PowerPoint presentation (long)
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- HOME -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 20:27:30 -0400

Just my own random thoughts on the subject. Ask the artist to do rough
tests of line thickness and densities. This is the type of project that
can only be done using the "touch and feel" method. There is no definite
formula. Work with the artist. Don't let her get too far without a
sample review. Stay closely involved and you will be fine. If the
artist will not let you stay closely involved, then maybe consider a
different artist. Ask a third party, (not your supervisor,) to give an
honest evaluation before you show the work to your supervisor.

HTH
Peter

"Allison, Nancy" wrote:

> I'm going to give a talk in August at a conference. To add a little interest
> and humor, I've hired an artist to draw some topical cartoons.
>
> I've never done this before. I need to advise the artist on what size the
> originals should be, what line width, etc. I will be scanning the art into
> the computer -- the artist does not have a computer and will be working on
> paper. I've already said that the cartoons need to be simple -- no fine
> lines or lots of little details. But I'm sure there's more practical info I
> can give her.
>
> My presentation will be in a PowerPoint file, which will be shown on a
> screen at the head of the room (typical conference presentation). I've never
> done that, either!
>
> So, the cartoons need to be:
>
> --drawn with a line width that ultimately will be visible when projected up
> on a screen, as part of a PowerPoint slide, in a conference room
>
> --scanned from paper into digital format
>
> --saved in an appropriate file format (JPEG? BMP? What?)
>
> --imported into a PowerPoint file
>
> --displayed visibly in a conference room
>
> And I've never done ANY of this before. Help! Questions:
>
> ----Can anybody advise me of how to do any of these steps?
>
> ----What line width should I tell the artist to use?
>
> ----I've suggested the original cartoons be drawn on 8.5 x 11" paper. Does
> that sound right?
>
> ----At what resolution should I scan them into the computer?
>
> ----What file format is best to save them in?
>
> ----At what resolution should I import them into PowerPoint?
>
> ----Does the term "anti-aliasing" have some relevance to any of this? Is
> there something I can do to make the cartoons look as good as possible
> online?
>
> ----Is there some technical question of glaring importance that I'm too
> clueless to ask?
>
> Thanks very, very much!