What does a window do???

Subject: What does a window do???
From: Nancy Smith <smithcds -at- ICI -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 17:48:15 -0400

Help, please!

I've been doing tech writing for more than 17 years and I am one who cringes
when I read "The ABC Window displays." I had hoped it was a matter of
concientious writers' trying too hard to stay in active voice -- even to the
point of using a transitive verb incorrectly as an intransitive verb!

On the other hand, I don't want to be one of those dyed-in-the-wool purists
who cannot change with the times -- when that is appropriate.

When I asked one technical writer where she learned to say that, she thought
she had learned it in a course at a big university.

So, folks -- what's the latest, greatest, most appropriate expression to use
in a procedure to indicate that the software is responding to the user
action and "Behold -- The window --- !" (does what???)

And, can you point me to an authoritative source for whatever your answer
is?

Thanks,

Nancy Smith

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=