Re: Mac or PC?

Subject: Re: Mac or PC?
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Brierley -at- QUODATA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 15:57:53 -0400

Hallo:

I recommend you get whatever computer you use at work.

Other than that, Macs tend to provide better support for printed color
output, so if you'll be working on a lot of four-color, offset-press stuff,
a Mac might be what you want. Soft Windows aside, most commercial printers,
service bureaus and pre-press department use Macs, as do many graphic
artists.

The Windows/Intel PCs have the strength of numbers and, I'd argue, graphics
systems that are at least the equal of Apple's offerings. Most companies
I've worked for and with use Wintel PCs in their technical writing
departments. This is particularly true if you, like I, work for software
manufacturers . . . there are more in the Windows world. Marketing
departments that output a lot of color to offset printing vendors seem to
predominantly run Macs. Additionally, hardware for the PCs seems more
available and less expensive, which probably correlates with more bugs and
incompatibilities <vbg>.

What software will you be running? The Adobe product line (FrameMaker,
InDesign, et al.) and Quark run on Mac and PCs, as will Word, but Corel
Ventura will not. And, then there's Interleaf . . ..

Have you considered UNIX or Linux? Oh dear . . ..

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=