Re: Books for guidance

Subject: Re: Books for guidance
From: "Backer, Corinne" <CBacker -at- GLHEC -dot- ORG>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 11:12:12 -0500

I highly recommend the following:
--Managing Your Documentation Projects, JoAnn T. Hackos, part of the Wiley
Technical Communications Library
--Designing and Writing Online Documentation, William Horton, also part of
the Wiley TC Lib
--Handbook of Technical Writing, Fifth Edition, Brusaw/Alred/Oliu, St.
Martin's Press

Another great book, although I don't know if it's still in press or if
there's a newer edition (I *think* the different editions deal with
different types of manuals, and this particular one is Operator Manuals,
Service Manuals, and Manuals for International Markets), is:
--Writing and Designing Manuals, Second Edition, Gretchen Holstein Schoff
and Patricia A. Robinson, Lewis Publishers

Can't help much with issue 2, British usage. However, I know the Chicago
Manual of Style does address the differences b/w "languages"

IMHO, unless you work for MS, or work exclusively with MS products, avoid
basing your decisions on the MS manual of style. There are better resources
for what we need to know than a proprietary issuance from one particular
software company.

Best of luck!
Corinne

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=