Re: HTMLhelp vs. WinHelp (was Do users really like the format of HTML Help/Webhelp?)

Subject: Re: HTMLhelp vs. WinHelp (was Do users really like the format of HTML Help/Webhelp?)
From: William Swallow <WSWALLOW -at- COMMSOFT -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 11:44:56 -0400

I think you misunderstood my post. I am a strong advocate for HTML-based
documentation, whether it's Help, an online book or what have you.

I agree with you 100% concerning the benefits of HTML-based Help. I also
agree with your Web-application predictions. However, I don't agree that
HTML Help is the best solution for Web-based applications. A true
integration of Help in a Web application shouldn't call new windows or do
anything to take the user away from the application. I envision Web
applications eventually allowing space for text that dynamically changes
based on a user's actions, whether it be by pressing a Help button or merely
using the application - where you are in the application results in custom
links to info in the text area that are relevant to that point in the
application. Now THAT is user-oriented Help.

Bill Swallow
Technical Writer
Billing Concepts
Albany NY
(518) 433-7698
mailto:william -dot- swallow -at- billingconcepts -dot- com
http://www.billingconcepts.com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=