Re: Desperately seeking employment (and why)

Subject: Re: Desperately seeking employment (and why)
From: Elizabeth Ross <beth -at- VCUBED -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 10:19:40 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: Joe Schrengohst <jschreng -at- CISCO -dot- COM>
To: <TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU>
Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 1999 7:45 PM

<snip>
| In the end, I guess it all boils down to whether you want
| to be a "technical writer," a "technical WRITER,"
| a TECHNICAL writer," or a "TECHNICAL WRITER"
| (and you get one guess where the BIG BUCK$ go).
|
| PS: If you are "offended" by this little diatribe, then it
| was expressly meant for you. You need to do some
| "soul searching" and see if your "technical skills" are
| really all that they should be.

As a woman, technical writer, and former: astrophysics major, QA software
tester, and computer consultant I have no disagreement with what Joe is
saying. I initially made the switch at ATI (my former employer) from QA to
Tech Pubs by showing the Tech Pubs manager a document I had prepared for my
QA colleagues which detailed the new 3D features of our latest chip, what
they meant (what is "Single Pass Bilinear/Trilinear Filtering"), and how to
test their function.

I'm now heading up the Technical Documentation department at a small
semiconductor firm. I know I have this position because I demonstrated my
ability to speak with engineers and understand what they are saying and
trying to do. IMHO, that is probably the single most cogent working skill a
technical writer can have. In other words, ya gotta speak geek.

Elizabeth Ross
Technical Writer
V3 Semiconductor Corp.
beth -at- vcubed -dot- com