Re: Desperately seeking employment (and why)

Subject: Re: Desperately seeking employment (and why)
From: Cam Whetstone <camw -at- ROCKETMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 06:21:35 -0700

---"Caroline Briggs (Pachaud) (Exchange)"
<carolinp -at- EXCHANGE -dot- MICROSOFT -dot- COM> wrote:

> when someone tells me they're really technical, what they're really
> saying is that they get widgets but not words. Sorry, that's not good
> enough. I spend too much time addressing fundamental writing issues
> with folks who are convinced that their technical expertise absolves
> them of any need to actually put one thought in front of the other in
> any kind of coherent order. May I respectfully suggest that it
> doesn't matter what you know or don't know if you don't have a clue
> as to how to tell me what you know? Or why I should care?

In the years I have been doing this job (since the late 50's), I have
met a lot of 'technial' writers who are not writers. I have also met
a lot of writers who cannot write. So your generalization is not
totally valid. While I have a background in electronics, I have also
documented software and even policies and procedures for one company.
Yet I see the place for the non-technical writer.

One caviat. I believe the writer with the special skills should get
more than the 'writer' writer. However, that probably won't happen.

Cam Whetstone

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=