Re: Do users really like the format of HTML Help/Webhelp?

Subject: Re: Do users really like the format of HTML Help/Webhelp?
From: Steve Piccolo <pic -at- BYU -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 10:29:56 -0600

On Fri, 9 Jul 1999 06:23:56 PDT, Linda Miller wrote:

>I've had several negative comments about the >format of Webhelp which has
the left-hand pane >with Contents, Index, Help; and the right-hand >pane
with the actual info. This format is >essentially the same as HTML Help.

>Personally, I'm not all that crazy about this >two-pane format either. It
really reduces the >amount of space you have for the info. But >evidently
that's the direction help is going >in.

I agree this format has weaknesses, including the window's having a limited
amount of space for help content. Personally, I have also considered ways to
design a more appealing and accessible help system, with bells and whistles.
However, being a user who frequently relies on help systems, I argue that if
you stick to a standardly formatted help system (such as HTML Help or
Webhelp), your users will benefit more than they would if you added bells
and whistles--at least in this era of help systems.

As a user, I like to use a help-system format that is familiar to me,
because I can usually find an answer more quickly, knowing where to look. I
have observed that most major software programs use the two-paned format, so
end users are accustomed to it. While this format continues to be the
accepted standard in this industry, I feel it's the best choice, because
people are accustomed to it.

On the other hand, the most important quality of a help system is useful
content. No matter what format you use, your users will benefit the most if
your help content is well written.

Steve Piccolo

Brigham Young University
(801) 378-2464; pic -at- byu -dot- edu