I'm gonna be an Indexer!!

Subject: I'm gonna be an Indexer!!
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 13:08:44 -0700

Hi, people...

I'm going to have to create an Index for my user
manual, starting pretty soon. I've never done a
"real" index. (am I gonna have fun, or what??)

Three questions:

1) For someone who's never done indexing, if you could
buy 1 book on indexing that would get me up to speed
quickest AND that is currently in print (I don't want
to spin my wheels waiting 4-6 weeks for shippment),
what would it be, money is not a consideration.

2) The manual will evenualy be converted to Word. I'm
going to use mif2rtf for the conversion. (oy!, don't
ask) Would you do the indexing in Frame and then
convert it over, or would you convert it, then index
it in Word. I'm thinking more along the lines of which
program has better indexing capabilities without
add-ins.

3) For a one-time indexing project (complex 450 page
manual), would IXGEN be worth the investment, or would
the learning curve negate the time it would save?

Easy questions, huh? Thanks
===
John Posada
Western Union International