Re: The Telecommuting myth

Subject: Re: The Telecommuting myth
From: Donald Le Vie <dlevie -at- VLINE -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 10:02:48 -0500

I've had similar experiences, especially questionning the long-term
telecommuting arrangements. I've been through all the separation anxieties,
lack of contact with peers, etc. And being the social creature I am, prefer
onsite for the long haul. However, I do like having the option to work at
home 1 or 2 days a week should I ever need to exercise it. There are times
when you need to get away from all the distractions in the workplace
environment and flee to the quiescent atmosphere of a home office (assuming
the absence of kids and live CNN broadcasts of some country being bombed
back to the Stone Age).

I once worked on a 6-month contract for an out-of-town client (I live in
Austin, TX; client was in Waco, TX) where I could work from my home office
and only had to travel to Waco (about a 90-minute drive one way) once a
month for a day or two for meetings. Client put me up in a nice hotel and
covered all other expenses upfront. I used a utility called Reach Out that
allowed me to work on a virtual workstation at the client's office from my
home office. After that contract, I was ready for some onsite work and
interaction with fellow carbon-based life entities.

Oh, one good thing about working that contract from home. From the
second-story window of my home office at that time, I had a pretty good view
of goings-on up and down our street. I lived in a very low crime area where
vandalism and the occasional B&E were the talk of the neighborhood, but not
much else. One day, I noticed 3 kids acting suspiciously out front. One kid
sat on the curb in front of my house looking up and down the street every
few seconds while the other 2 disappeared from view. My dog was curled up
under my desk asleep, but suddenly became alert and growled in a low voice.
I went downstairs and caught the other 2 kids trying to break in to my front
door. They all ran when they saw me approach the door. Short version: After
calling the police and describing the kids, they were picked up shortly
thereafter trying to break in to a house down the street.

Donn Le Vie
Integrated Concepts

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=