Re: Understanding the things you document

Subject: Re: Understanding the things you document
From: Lane Pasut <Larissa -dot- Pasut -at- OMEGARESEARCH -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 10:00:40 -0400

I for one don't even see how this can be a question! How can you write about
something you don't know/understand? Say you're not an SME and therefore a
"collector" of information, during the collection process, it is inevitable
that you will learn and understand the program! If you don't, your
documentation will be basic, incomplete and superficial at best.

I do know that some companies don't expect their technical communicators to
understand the program, and I think this is probably a symptom of a larger
problem (lack of understanding of the role of the technical communicator)
and will probably result in your not getting the resources you need or
having the product development cycle include adequate documentation time.

My opinion, of course.

Lane Pasut
User Education
Omega Research, Inc.