Re: The telecommuting myth NOT

Subject: Re: The telecommuting myth NOT
From: Chuck <writer -at- BEST -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 19:51:13 -0700

I would offer an alternative scenario to Joe:

I not only haven't telecommuted, I don't want to. Recruiters and hiring
managers offer it as a "perk," but I don't see it as such. As a
technical writer who does much more than "just write," I want to be
deeply involved in the day-to-day development process, most of which
does not happen in formal meetings. Often, one or two programmers will
gather for ad-hoc meetings one one's cubicle to hash something out, and
I can't count the times I've overheard such meetings and stuck my head
over the cubicle wall and asked "You're making what change?" I have also
been involved in the design process (before coding starts), debugging,
and discussion of feature sets.

There's also the "out of sight, out of mind" factor; despite the
progress we've made, technical writers still are often not thought of as
integral parts of the development team, especially by the programmers
themselves. Rather, technical writers are too often brought in well
after a project has started, when all we can do is catch up and document
all the mistakes that the programming team has made, especially in the
product's design.

Before you think I'm being too pessimistic, that larger,
well-established software companies don't have this problem, take a look
at http://www.iarchitect.com and note the difference in size between the
Interface Hall of Fame and the Interface Hall of Shame.

That "out of sight, out of mind" factor can even come into play when a
technical writer is on site, but not physically located in the same area
as the rest of the project's programmers (down the hall, on a different
floor, or in a different building).

Still, I can't argue about Joe's assessment of Silicon Valley traffic.
It is why I specify that I'm looking for jobs "in or near" San
Francisco, with the added note that "near" does *not* mean San Jose,
Sunnyvale, or similar South Bay locations. (Recruiters routinely ignore
my wishes with the line "I know this job is in Palo Alto, but I think
it's a good fit anyway...."--this without even having met me or talked
to me, but just from seeing my resume on www.dice.com or
www.craigslist.org.)

But I cannot give up San Francisco. When I first moved here 6 years ago
I felt so at home in San Francisco that even though my job was in South
San Jose (60-65 miles away), I still got an apartment in SF. Recently,
even the drive to Redwood City has become onerous, so I generally
concentrate my search to software companies in SF or maybe as far south
as San Mateo. SF has so much that Silicon Valley lacks, too, that I
wouldn't think of living elsewhere. For living, though, "to each their
own," so what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another.

As far as getting back to the original poster a bit, it sounds like the
management there is actively hostile to telecommuting. While you should
have to show that you can be productive in a telecommuting environment,
once that proof has been shown, the company should accommodate you as
long as the situation isn't a detriment to the smooth functioning of the
development team. If they are not willing, get the resume ready. Many
companies not only appreciate the dedication and devotion of their
workforce, but don't make their lives miserable by being so restrictive
in the work environments.

--
"[Programmers] cannot successfully be asked to design for users
because...inevitably, they will make judgments based on the

Chuck Martin
writer"at"best.com www.writeforyou.com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=