Re: The telecommuting myth

Subject: Re: The telecommuting myth
From: "David M. Brown" <dmbrown -at- BROWN-INC -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 08:09:47 -0700

Sheridan-Smith John wrote:

> Interesting to hear that teleworking is as much a myth in the US as
> it is in UK. I have given up mentioning the concept of teleworking
> to prospective employers...

I've had quite a different experience.

Of perhaps twenty clients, only two have required me to work on-site. In both cases, it was because I was documenting hardware or software that was inaccessible outside their office. With all our other clients, I visit the office only for interviews, meetings, and celebrations. A couple of our clients have really "gone the extra mile" to make hardware prototypes available or set up dial-in network access and telephone conferences.

Perhaps telecommuting is just more common for consultants than for contractors and staffers.

--David

David M. Brown - Brown Inc.
dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com

A V A I L A B L E N O W ! http://www.html-indexer.com/

HTML Indexer 3.0, still the easiest way to create and maintain
back-of-the-book indexes for web sites and other HTML documents.

Now including options for HTML Help and JavaHelp indexes, too!

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=