planning for translation of help

Subject: planning for translation of help
From: Ellen Lidington <elidington -at- NETSCAPE -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 11:58:17 PDT

Thanks to the TW archives and the significant information I have accumulated
through this list, I have made the decision to purchase ForeHelp Premier as my
HAT. Now I have to organization the process.

Since I am at the absolute beginning of the project and I know translation
will become a factor almost immediately, I was hoping to again avail myself of
the vast experience you all represent. I would appreciate any tidbits anyone
has to offer as I plan my project. I have a fair appreciation of things to do
and to avoid in creating content; my question has more to do with setting up
for and planning for the actual translation to happen. I know I will be
translating into at least Brazilian, Spanish, traditional Chinese, and
Japanese, with more to follow, I'm sure. Should I be contacting a translation
firm immediately and working with them from the outset. If yes, what should I
be looking for as I contact them. What are the other major components of
planning for a translation project.

As always, TIA for the help I know I will receive.

Ellen Lidington
Lead Technical Writer
TSCentral
781-235-8095 x278