Re: Editor Please....

Subject: Re: Editor Please....
From: "Backer, Corinne" <CBacker -at- GLHEC -dot- ORG>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 09:47:25 -0500

Tim Alton said:
"When dealing with English, everything is opinion. So-called "rules"
are
merely conventions arrived at by successive generations of language
pundits...
Technically, in the US the period is supposed to go inside of the
quotes...
But this has always seemed illogical to me. In a sentence that's
totally
enclosed in quotes, it seems reasonable..."

I think it's a little too late to apply logic and reason to English
grammar. :D
In a language that thrives on the exception to the rule, and where
spelling and syntax is haphazard at best, I think it IS important to
maintain the rules that hold the language together, particularly when our
profession tries to promote correct use of language and we purport to be
experts of a sort. If we changed the existing rules when they didn't seem
logical, we'd have a *real* mess on our hands - think of the confusion that
new computer terms have brought to the writing world, let alone messing with
old conventions.

Just my .02
Corinne

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=