Curly quotes question (was RE: Editor Please....)--off-list

Subject: Curly quotes question (was RE: Editor Please....)--off-list
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Brierley -at- QUODATA -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 10:20:16 -0400

Hallo:

I, too, avoid quotes in technical documentation unless referring to other
published works. Bold or italics work quite well.

As an aside, I was asked by a consultant why do I insist on curly quotes
rather than straight quotes. My insistence on this point seemed strange to
the consultant.

I explained that straight quotes means inches and that typographical quotes
(66 and 99) were the correct symbols. Aside from that, I've been using
typographical quotes since I was in college, which I understand is not
persuasive. Anyone care to comment on this issue off-list?

Thanks.

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=