Re: Grammar books

Subject: Re: Grammar books
From: DAVID NADZIEJKA <NADZIEJKA -at- WE -dot- UPJOHNINST -dot- ORG>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 08:22:58 -0400

If you really want basic grammar help, most publishers have some
sort of English handbook that comprehensively reviews grammar at
a practical (not English graduate student) level. At home I have
"The Little, Brown Handbook" and here in my office I have "The
Beacon Handbook". Either one (or similar books from other
publishers) should be helpful to you. They tend to run about
$30-40, I think.

I've actually found even more useful a book by Claire K. Cook,
"Line by Line", published by Houghton Miflin. It has good
explanations and a lot of examples, and I think it's easier to
read through than the English handbook types. It costs less than
$10 as I remember; I highly recommend it.

Most tech writing books touch on grammar to a greater or lesser
degree, but I haven't come across any that are comprehensive.
Strunk and White is a book I re-read a lot, but it doesn't
address much grammar at all.

David Nadziejka
Technical Editor
W.E. Upjohn Institute
nadziejka -at- we -dot- upjohninst -dot- org

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=