Re: When do you start addressing new SW versions?

Subject: Re: When do you start addressing new SW versions?
From: Chuck <writer -at- BEST -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 10:37:17 -0700

John Posada wrote:
<snip>
> Do you mention third party software that isn't
> available at the time of writing, and may not be
> available before your application gets released, but
> you know that it will be out before you issue the next
> version of your ap?

No. Absolutely not.

Until software is officially released, is doesn't actually exist. It
doesn't matter that it has been announced, that it has been in beta in
many hands, that everyone and their mother knows it's coming, it's still
not there.

You can no more do that in the docs than the marketing people could put
"Designed for Windows 2000" on the packaging before Windows 2000 is
released.

The solution (what most companies in this situation would do with a
release date that does not syncronize with the Win2000 release date):
create a .0a version of the software, packaging, and docs (like with
invisible conditional text) that is slipstreamed into production when
Win2000 is released.

Now I am quite curious: what's the difference between the Win 95 and
Win98/NT install? Why is there a difference? There shouldn't be.

--
"[Programmers] cannot successfully be asked to design for users
because...inevitably, they will make judgments based on the

Chuck Martin
writer"at"best.com www.writeforyou.com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=