Re: Pc v. Mac

Subject: Re: Pc v. Mac
From: Adam Korman <akorman -at- EPICOR -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 14:39:03 -0700

Macs and PCs both have significant strengths and weaknesses (some can be
objectively measured and others can't). That one is better for technical
writing definitely cannot be objectively measured.

There is plenty of ammunition out there regarding how one platform is better
than the other (both ways). I think what's probably more important to
consider is what is involved in *switching* platforms. Do the pros of the
new platform outweigh the cons of switching? Some of the cons to consider
(when switching either direction):

(1) Initial cost of switching tools (hardware and software)
(2) Training costs
(3) Temporary decrease in productivity. Plan on it. It's going to happen.
(4) Impact on tech support -- Do users troubleshoot problems on their own
now? Will they be able to after the switch?
(5) File translation and related concerns. How much time will be lost to
translating files? Do you currently use file naming conventions that cause
problems on the other platform? (For my last company this was a big
consideration when they thought about switching. It wasn't just a matter of
renaming files, but fixing cross-references and imported file paths).
(6) User preferences and reliance on current platform's strengths (this is
related to #3, but not necessarily the same). Do users rely on ancillary
utilities that aren't available on the other platform? Are users so used to
the current platform that they will perceive differences as weaknesses in
the new platform? What about the real strengths vs. weaknesses?
(7) The "X" factor. There will be problems that you cannot foresee. Can you
afford to take this gamble (in terms of deliverables, reversibility of the
decision, etc.)?

...and I'm sure there are others. It may turn out that the above concerns
are minimal for your specific situation, but I think that for most
workgroups, at least one of these issues is a big hang-up. Even if #7 is the
only real concern, there has to be an overwhelming, specific positive reason
to switch, not just the usual suspects: "PCs are the standard" or "Macs are
better."

Just my $.02.

Adam Korman
<akorman -at- epicor -dot- com>