Re: Pc v. Mac

Subject: Re: Pc v. Mac
From: Arlen P Walker <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 15:42:00 -0500

>Question: Which platform is in the most common use and, consequently,
>considered better for pure technical writing projects?

HLLL/Troll but could have been done with considerably more style. ;{>}

There are several unwarranted assumptions implicit in the question. The two
most prominent are:

1) The platform in use is considered better. The platform in use is generally
chosen by people who have no connection with the job at hand, and therefore, is
chosen without regard for whether it is better suited for the task. The post
acknowledges as much when it tells the tale of having Macs forced upon the TW
by the marcom types.

2) That there *is* a single choice for best platform "for pure technical
writing projects." For one thing, I doubt any six of us on this list could come
up with a definition of "pure technical writing projects" which would be
acceptable to the others without being so general as to be nearly meaningless.
And even if we could, our specs for the perfect system would be as diverse as
the people who put it together.

The best tool is the one which best fits your hand. The machine I'd use might
drive Kat crazy, and Bill would be aghast at both of our systems. I've known
folks who would switch hammers to drive different nails, and others who used a
framing hammer for everything. Neither approach is objectively good or bad;
both produced beautiful work. The tool doesn't create; the person does. This
whole idea of a single "best platform" is an extension of the Office Power Game
(TM) and is good for nothing except wasting time and energy. I suspect the
poster of the question already has his mind made up and is simply searching for
ratification of his own desires.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224