At what point does software become an application?

Subject: At what point does software become an application?
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 11:49:31 -0700

OK, kiddies...thinking caps on.

I have an application. We'll call it "Bill".

Before Bill can be run, it has to be installed. (duh)

I have a manager taking the following approach.

Before Bill is installed, it is "the Bill software"
After Bill is installed, it is just plain Bill.

In practice, it goes something like this (samples are
out of context):

During installation:

"Specify the directory where you would like to install
the Bill software. The default directory is C:\PROGRAM
FILES\BILL."

After Installation:

"Bill gives you the ability to name a location by a
descriptive term. You are limited to 50 characters."

What think yee? I almost agree with him, but then I
like whipped cream placed...well, never mind where I
like whipped cream, it's off topic. ;-)
===
John Posada
Western Union International