[Fwd: Are manuals out of date (no)]

Subject: [Fwd: Are manuals out of date (no)]
From: Chris Kowalchuk <chris -at- BDK -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 13:02:52 -0400

--- Begin Message ---

Subject: Re: Are manuals out of date (no)
From: Chris Kowalchuk <chris -at- bdk -dot- net>
To: Ron Sering <rsering -at- EXCALIB -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 13:00:39 -0400

Rod Sering used "Quicken" as an example of software that one could get
into quickly without reading a reference manual. I agree with him, but
interestingly, Intuit also provides excellent manuals with their
products (Quicken and Quickbooks), despite the fact that they might not
need to. The Quickbooks manual, for instance, goes to some trouble to
present a host of accounting/bookkeeping concepts and procedures, and
how they apply (or are approached) in Quickbooks. Could you use the
software without the manual? Yes, definitely. But the manual is
nonetheless of tremendous value as a reference for all the
business/accounting problems it solves, which can be looked up as the
need arises.

Aside from offering an Intuit promo, my intention is to point out that
intuitive interface design and online help are great, but still do not
replace a good manual for covering a subject in depth. It's also
refreshing to see a company that thinks about documentation beyond
providing the "bare minimum". The Quickbooks manual could probably be
sold separately, and given industry standards, we couldn't complain
about it too much. But it isn't, and I feel that Intuit's customers are
probably very appreciative of the value they get for their money, part
of which is the inclusion of a comprehensive reference manual.

So I throw that in to expand the question a bit. If you plan your
documentation so that each type performs the function appropriate for
its medium, you can go beyond "good enough" to providing truly
comprehensive documentation that enhances the value of the overall
product. Sometimes, anyway...

Chris Kowalchuk