Re: Need good tool for verifying links

Subject: Re: Need good tool for verifying links
From: Dick Margulis <ampersandvirgule -at- WORLDNET -dot- ATT -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 19:35:57 -0400

Walter,

The solution is in the question. You can do this quickly with a Lisp
script (get help at nntp://comp.text.interleaf if you don't do Lisp
yourself); or you can do it one file at a time manually.

Manual procedure:

Opening each HTML file in turn:

1. Select all of the text and copy to the clipboard

2. In a new (i.e., blank) Interleaf document, paste the text.

3. Set up a wildcard search that will find caps in links and replace
with lowercase. (This may require a couple of different search/replace
argument sets. Once you've constructed the strings, keep them handy so
you can enter them quickly.)

4. Select all the text, copy, and paste it back into the html file over
the old text. Save and close.

As I said, this would run quickly as a batch process with a decently
written script.

Good luck!

Dick

Walter Crockett wrote:

> We have a very large online help system for the tool we document. Several
> people had a hand in writing most of it in Interleaf before it was ported
> through HTML Transit to HTML Help. Others were involved in adding a big chunk
> of strictly online documentation to it.
>
> Now we need to bring it from Windows NT into UNIX platform, and, among other
> things, the case sensitivity of the URLs is causing problems. We need a way
> to check all the links in the project quickly and also find out which links
> have mismatched cases, ie. image.gif and IMAGE.gif.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=