Re: Question: Market for Technical Writing

Subject: Re: Question: Market for Technical Writing
From: Chris Kowalchuk <chris -at- BDK -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 14:25:54 -0400

Tony Markatos referred to

> two basic types of TWs. There are those that focus primarily on
> drafting documentation <snip>
> (English majors are the classic example.) And their are those that focus
> primarily on engineering documentation (i.e., developing highly task
> oriented properly partioned documentation). (Engineering types often fit
> this mold).

There is also a third, hybrid type. Some of us English majors actually
have enough technical aptitude (often from job experience in engineering
environments etc.) to write the latter type of document, or be
particularly adept at translating tech spec into regular language. I am
of course biased, but I consider this type of writer to be particularly
useful, especially when it comes to bridging common communications gaps.
Other good combinations are pure science/arts writer and business/arts
writer. Being a writer first, with a good insight into another
discipline, or (rarer still) knowing a specific discipline and also
being able to write, is a very handy skill set to have.

Chris Kowalchuk

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=