Re: Question: Market for Technical Writing

Subject: Re: Question: Market for Technical Writing
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 08:41:04 -0700

Ed.

Why is she dissatisfied with her present work
situation and why does she feel that she would make a
good technical writer?

I'm not attempting to be confrontational, but I'd like
to break into NASCAR racing and piloting the NASA
shuttle seems like a cool things to do also. If she is
dissatisfied because of long hours, pressure,
deadlines, obtuse working associates, or unreasonable
expectations, then she isn't going to like the tech
writing field either.

If she believes that by doing so, she is going to
automatically make the big bucks becuase she knows
someone who is a writer and that person makes the
bucks, then a subject thread a week or so ago will
address that issue also.

Would you mind posting the reason why she thinks she
is suited for this work and based on that, we might be
able to guide her by addressing the following:

What kind of technical writing?
Writing about what?
Where does she live?
Does she want to move?
CAN she move?
What is her education?
What has she experienced that pointed her toward
writing, rather than being a chef, a stock broker, or
an auto mechanic?

It is very difficult to give valid advice without
knowing any background.

--- Ed Gomez <egomez -at- KOMINT -dot- COM> wrote:
> Dear Sirs/Ms.
>
> I have a friend who is dissatisfied about her
> present work situation and would
> like to break into the field of Technical Writing.
> She has an English degree
> but no technical writing experience. She has a
> solid knowledge of computers and
> the internet. She was asking me, what is the market
> like for technical writing
> opportunities and where are most of the companies
> located that hire these kinds
> of writers?
>
> Any information that you could provide would be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> Cordially,
>
> Ed Gomez

===