Re: Sample Requests

Subject: Re: Sample Requests
From: Sybille Sterk <sybille -at- BOFFIN -dot- BEYOND2000 -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 22:55:32 +0100

I am not sure if the situation is different here in England, but so far I
haven't been asked for samples from any prospective employers... Recently I
went to an interview and - to be prepared - took my two most recent manuals
with me, but they never even asked, and even when I offered they weren't
interested.

Generally, I think it is fine to take a manual or even a help file on disk
(CD-ROM or any other media) with you to show the prospective employer, as
long as the employer is neither a direct competitor of the company you
currently work for and as long as you don't leave the material with them.
Of course, you should also make sure that the material is not confidential,
e.g. of a product not yet on the market.

How about creating some samples for the sole purpose of showing them to
interviewers? In those samples you could show how you think it should be
done. The text used could be anything - use some Latin sample text if you
want - but the layout and what-have-you would be yours.... That'd show your
approach the best as it isn't influenced by something like a "corporate
design" or other guide lines within the company. The same document could be
prepared as a Winhelp, HTML help, hard copy, PDF file - whatever takes your
fancy.

Sybille

Sybille Sterk
Technical Author and Translator (German)
email: sybille -at- boffin -dot- beyond2000 -dot- co -dot- uk

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=