Ability vs. allows? Why not just "let"?

Subject: Ability vs. allows? Why not just "let"?
From: Geoff Hart <Geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 13:03:47 -0400

John Posada wonders which is better: "This selection gives
you the ability to define the countries..." or "This selection
allows you to define the countries..."

I'm not keen on either, particularly given that "lets you
define" is so much shorter and lacks the baggage associated
with "gives you the ability" (what? I didn't have it already?)
or "allows you to" (mighty kind of you... and I didn't even
know I had to ask your permission).

--Geoff Hart @8^{)} Pointe-Claire, Quebec
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

"The ability to speak does not make you intelligent."--Qui-Gon Jinn

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=