API documentation

Subject: API documentation
From: Dave SCOTT <dscott -at- IBM -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 06:01:43 -0700

This may seem like a silly question, but how proficient in a programming
language (say, C++) should an employer expect of a tech writer who
produces API docs? And on the flip side, how proficient -should- you be?

I've written software in several languages, including C, but not C++, and
there is a substantial difference. I may have an opportunity
to document a C++ API, but am nervous about what the potential employer
may be expecting.

Any other API doc writers out there?
-Dave Scott

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=