Re: Dropdown menu on a button? Closing Word

Subject: Re: Dropdown menu on a button? Closing Word
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 19:32:42 -0700

Ok. I got many responses to my questions with many
opinions of what is right or wrong with having a drop
down menu as part of a button.

Just for clarity, this is the type of menu I'm talking
about. Note that the icon does not include a little
drop-down triangle in the way that some of the new
MS98 icons use.

Think of it this way.

Imagine that your application had an icon so that when
you place your mouse cursor over the icon, the word
Edit popped up. Now, when you clicked the icon, you
got a menu that had the following options:

Cut
Copy
Paste

EXACTLY like the selection under Edit to the right of
File

Note that I'm not refering to an icon similar to IE5
where the Edit icon will launch an editor, or the
Frame Justification menu that drops down with the
justification choices (left, right, full) but exactly
like Edit from the menu bar.

Anyway...I think this horse has been beaten enough
today. I've sent the manager an email asking him if he
would agree to a compromise and to place a little
triangle in the icons that have drop down menus and
we'll see what happens.

Thanks for your input. You've given me many
alternative suggestions and have atleast made me
realize that I'm not completely wrong.

===
John Posada
Western Union International