Re: Dropdown menu on a button?

Subject: Re: Dropdown menu on a button?
From: jarnopol <jarnopol -at- INTERACCESS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 15:01:16 -0500

<snip>
>"Having drop-down functions on buttons is something
>that is widely used in software."
>Also...for extra credit...can anyone point to an
>authoratative source that outlines the proper design
>in this area? I have Microsoft's "Windows Interface
>Guidelines..." book, but I cannot find a mention of
>this guideline. A page number will do fine.

John, I'm looking at the 1995 Windows Interface Guidelines for Software Design
(MS PRess) and on page 144 they talk about Menu Button, complete with pic.

"A menu buttion supports the same type of interaction as a drop-down menu; the
menu is displayed with the button is pressed and allows the user to drag into
the menu from the button and make menu selections. Like any other menu, use
highlighting to track the movement of the pointer."

Let me know if you want me to fac a copy to you. I only know where this is
because I ran into a similar problem a couple of years ago when i was on the
development team for a client/server application.

Hope this helps,

jarnopol

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=