Intranet Structure

Subject: Intranet Structure
From: "Hochstatter, Mike" <MHochstatter -at- PROVIDENCE -dot- ORG>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 10:21:31 -0700

A colleague and I have been assigned to develop a searchable repository on
our existing intranet that will eventually contain all of the systems
documentation written by our IS department. I work for a large organization,
so we're looking at a great deal of information. The eventual authors will
all use MS Word and we're planning on managing the site with FrontPage.

I'm new at this, so any suggestions from someone whose been there would be
greatly appreciated. We are starting out with a survey of our potential
users to see if they have any suggestions about how they want their
repository to be designed. I'm mostly interested to figuring out how to
structure the repository. Should it be organized by author's department, by
subject matter, or by some other method? Fortunately, we don't have to do
the nuts-and-bolts setup work, but we do need to design how the repository
will function. Suggested questions to ask are welcome. Off-list responses
are much appreciated.

As always, thanks in advance for all your great suggestions. The people on
this list have been a wonderful resource for a newbie like me.

Mike Hochstatter
Technical Writer, Providence Health System
mhochstatter -at- providence -dot- org

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=