Re: Quark Express and FrameMaker

Subject: Re: Quark Express and FrameMaker
From: Bill Burns <BillDB -at- ILE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 09:01:53 -0600

> I am trying to convince my company to go for FrameMaker while a graphic
> designer wants Express.
> Has anyone got experience of the two that they would like to share?

The two tools are designed for different layout work. What are you going to
do with the application? If you need to create design-intensive materials
(e.g., brochures, magazines), then Quark is probably a better option. It's
design ed for that kind of work. If you need to create technical manuals or
books, then FrameMaker has features that support this process
better--cross-referencing, autogeneration of TOCs and indices, conditional
text.

I haven't used Quark. Most of the folks who I know that are familiar with it
work for weekly newspapers or magazines. I've been using Frame for about 5
years. It does most of what I need, and coupled with WebWorks Publisher or
Acrobat, it can deliver it in multiple forms and versions easily.

Bill Burns - Eccentric Technology Consultant
International Communications Design & Development
billdb -at- ile -dot- com
This face intentionally left blank.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=