Re: Where rhetoric meets reality (routing)

Subject: Re: Where rhetoric meets reality (routing)
From: Ned Bedinger <ned -at- EDWORD -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 02:31:35 -0700

<much snipping done>

At 09:22 AM 6/17/99 -0600, you wrote:

>When you say non-routable IP addresses, do you mean numbers like
>435.252.531.4251 or actual IP addresses designated from the pools
>of private (not to be used on the Internet) addresses? If the former,
>that's bad news. ...

Hmmm, reading between the lines, you handily made a thinkable alternative
to the problem examples I mentioned. Why shouldn't examples use networks
above 255 ? I mean, compared to the ambiguity and obscurity of using
private network addresses for public internet addresses, this is
unencumbered, baggage-free terminology, which I like. It's probably a
little too far into fantasy to capture the favor of artisanal hardware
types, but from here it looks like a winner.

>As a rule, publishers wouldn't do this--O'Reilly might, but the others
>we've worked with wouldn't. Support materials for books are generally
>the province of authors, and IP addresses are hard enough to come by
>for actual needs, let alone to set aside a block for examples.

Thanks, this puts the english on it. Frankly I've never tried to buy static
IP addresses so I don't know what the proposition looks like for a
long-term aquisition of IP addresses for documentation examples. I can
lease a block of 8 static addresses for about $15/mo from my ISP, but I
guess they would churn back into the pool if the ISP went out of business.
But ISPs are currently in favor, I think they can still buy address blocks.

>Why not just use private addresses?
>RFC 1918 specifies the following addresses for "private internets":
> 10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
> 172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
> 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255
>
>Use those as examples and have fun!

There's some healthy advice :)

But I have to clear the air now. Yes, I am trying to avoid having to use
private addresses in examples where the syntax specifically needs public
ones, but I''m coming from a context of industrial-strength e-commerce
sites, not just router configuration. I guess I picked a bad keyword for
summing that up (yep, routing). What I failed to say is that the focus is
THE INTERNET, connecting from it to e-commerce sites. The router is the
key (well, a key), but the whole ball of string makes Internet-routable
addresses inevitable. That's what it does. But heck, no problem. My
virtual server's IP address can be the very-nearly Internet-routable but
non-threatening 256.256.256.1. How can that fail a risk test?

>In a more general answer to your question, safe data for examples
>is hard to come by in many cases, from names to addresses to almost
>anything else under the sun. If anyone has a database or listing that
>they'd like to donate to the community, I'm sure that we can find
>a home on the TECHWR-L site for it.

Good eye!

>Eric

Edward Bedinger
Edword Technical Communications Co.
Seattle, WA

If this were merely my opinion, I'd probably keep it to myself.
My employer is not responsible for my expressions.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=