Getting Information

Subject: Getting Information
From: Michael Schiesl <Mpschiesl -at- RA -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 17:16:00 -0500

One of the most trying tasks that I've come across is getting information. I
thought that I'd open a little discussion here...Here are some different
angles/strategies that I've cooked up to get information. If you have any items
that have worked for you, I'd be happy to hear about them.

- Host a website. Place writing issues on the site and mail periodic reminders
to developers, disguising them as a what's new this week report.

- Host a Lotus Notes database. Place issues online and mail reminders to
developers/etc. periodically.

- Show developers some model documentation. It may get them more interested
than just continual interrogation.

- Attend their meetings.

- Ask if you can qual test the product (say that you are testing your
documentation).

- Keep them informed of documentation efforts.

- Ask them to explain their efforts, knowledge, or technology (you may hit a
gusher).

- Ask them how the product works.

- Ask some specified questions.

- Invite them to a documentation presentation.

- Ask for a product presentation.

- Ask for a product demonstration.

- Hand out surveys/questionnaires.

- Keep yourself visible to them. If you do not sit by them, make sure to take a
daily stroll through their area. A periodic email/phone call will remind them
that you exist.

- Get to know them. Become their friend.

- Become assertive. Don't be a bully, but do assert your aspects of the
business.

I always have to be new and creative in how I work with people. Please add any
contributions that you may have.

Michael Schiesl
Rockwell Automation Product Documentation

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=