Re: nice way to word a nasty warning

Subject: Re: nice way to word a nasty warning
From: Suzette Seveny <sseveny -at- PETVALU -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 12:25:50 -0400

Saying that someone will be last on the list is bound to anger some people -
even more so if they are lawyers and therefore feel that they are exempt from
rules and conventions to which mere mortals subscribe.

How about wording it:

Support efforts are more successful in a shorter period of time, with users who
have a standard configuration. Installing software other than the standard
used in the office, including screensavers that may have been downloaded from
the internet, can negatively impact the Help Desk's ability to assist you
and/or solve your problem in a timely manner.

Suzette Seveny
Markham, Ontario, Canada
sseveny -at- petvalu -dot- com or suzette -at- yesic -dot- com
DISCLAIMER:
Any opinions expressed are MY opinions.
Feel free to have your own.
Let's agree to disagree
But Please - Don't Flame Me.

Laugh and the world laughs with you;
Snore and you sleep alone.

On Wednesday, June 16, 1999 12:07 PM, Comeau, Lisa [SMTP:Lisa -dot- Comeau -at- MOH -dot- GOV
.ON.CA] wrote:
> I'm working on an internal tips book for computer users. It gives them steps
> to take to solve their own problems before they call our swamped helpdesk.
> (It covers things like changing expired passwords, trouble logging on to the
> network, printer error messages, and so on.)
>
> I need to get across the idea that if you install your own software, or
> download stuff from the 'net, you will be put last on the support list. I
> have a few problems, though.
>
> 1) I can't come out and say "If you have non-standard onfiguratiopn,
> everyone at the HelpDesk will know, and you'll be the absolute dead last
> person to get help for the day".
>
> 2) This is a Government office we're talking about, and even if someone does
> have non-standard equipment, but their job is crucial, they will get
> immediate support.
>
> 3) This tips book is being written for a group of lawyers - need I say more?
>
> Right now, it's worded like this:
>
> "Downloading things like screensavers form the Internet can cause conflicts
> with other programs on your PC. If your PC has a non-standard configuration,
> the speed and accuracy of your support may suffer."
> Any suggestions?
>
> Lisa Comeau
> Accounts Representative, Client Services Group
> Y2K/Exchange Project, Ontario Ministry of Health

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=